Steinway O Redesign

James Grebe pianoman@accessus.net
Tue, 14 Jun 2005 05:35:13 -0500

I have observed this effect on a Baldwin M from the 50's that a client =
has.  It was signed by Jose Iturbi.  A very neat effect if recognized =
and used to the players advantage.  When depressed, the sustain pedal =
,the volume suddenly swells right up.  Really neat.
Jim
James Grebe
Piano-Forte Tuning & Repair
Creator of Handsome Hardwood Caster Cups, piano benches, writing =
instruments
(314) 608-4137
WWW.JamesGrebe.com
1526 Raspberry Lane
Arnold, MO 63010
BECOME WHAT YOU BELIEVE!
pianoman@accessus.net
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Erwinspiano@aol.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Monday, June 13, 2005 9:34 PM
  Subject: Re: Steinway O Redesign

    >     This is very much the same effect as a singer properly =
sustaining a=20
    > note or a Mesa De voce style of singing where the note being =
sustained =20
    > intentionally starts at a lower volume & is then expanded =
dynamically &=20
    > then contracted. Only in the pianos case the duration of the Mesa =
de voce=20
    > is longer. It's a wonderful effect .=20

    It certainly is. I'm not sure the volume goes up after the attack,=20
    but a lot of other stuff sympathetically kicks in after a second or=20
    so when the soundboard doesn't waste what energy there is. It=20
    gets... richer, like expecting milk and getting a shake.
    Ron
    I like this description better.  It's is like more horsepower Or a =
notch higher or whatever
   It's more better sounding.
  than the Old design

     I got the plate back last Monday, looking like a=20
    cinder. I'd loved to have done some needed modifications, but It=20
    wasn't being fixed - just un-broke. Spent two long days and half of=20
    a third filling, sanding, spraying, lettering, sweating, and wishing =

    I was somewhere else.=20
    This is one reason I prefer the loch-n- stich repair.  These guys =
sell do it yo sef repair kits & it doesnt' look that tough even with the =
plate in the piano. Of course there is still the filling & usual body =
work  to attend to after wards. I know people weld plates but the guys =
at loch-n- stich say it really isn't possible or at least risky  Huh?  =
any way.=20
    . He'll get back=20
    to me... Yea. Maybe the next one I get in will be a real job. I'm=20
    curious how a mo-defiled M performs, but this one wasn't it.
    I'm just doing up the rib scale & cut-off  on an M now & I'm also =
interseted in the outcome.
    After the stupefying success of the O I my enthusiasm is frankly=20
   re- energized. =20

    Looking forward to KC to rest up for a couple of days. Might even=20
    get my hands clean by week's end.
     Have fun
     Dale

    Ron N