Dry Throat?

James Grebe pianoman@accessus.net
Thu, 16 Jun 2005 05:48:21 -0500

It has been said that one of the ingredients used to moth proof hammers =
was the addition of arsenic.  Our noses are stuck inside pianos all day =
with the hammer cutting into the felt releasing all this moth proofing =
stuff to suck in our noses.  I have never heard it denied that arsenic =
was/is used.
Jim
James Grebe
Piano-Forte Tuning & Repair
Creator of Handsome Hardwood Caster Cups, piano benches, writing =
instruments
(314) 608-4137
WWW.JamesGrebe.com
1526 Raspberry Lane
Arnold, MO 63010
BECOME WHAT YOU BELIEVE!
pianoman@accessus.net
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Ed Carwithen=20
  To: PTG Pianotech=20
  Sent: Wednesday, June 15, 2005 11:08 PM
  Subject: Dry Throat?

  I keep having trouble with irritated throat while tuning.  Does anyone =
else?  After a day of several tunings my throat feels as if I have gone =
through a very long ardurous choral rehearsal.  I have to have lozenges =
(sp) in my pocket at all times or I suffer major coughing fits.

  Years ago, while studying at Eastman School of Music I had to do a =
presentation on tunings, and I played a recording of ascending tones.  A =
very odd reaction occurred in which many of the people in the class =
experienced a throat constriction as the pitch being heard reached the =
top of their vocal range.  This was obvious as people swallowed, or =
clutched at their throats as the sensation hit them.  We all laughed at =
it at the time.  Now I wonder if, in tuning, I am unconsciously matching =
the pitches I am sounding with a tightening of my vocal chords.
    Does this problem resonate with anyone else? =20

  Ed Carwithen
  John Day, OR