Dry Throat?

Ed Carwithen edwithen@ortelco.net
Wed, 15 Jun 2005 21:08:46 -0700

I keep having trouble with irritated throat while tuning.  Does anyone =
else?  After a day of several tunings my throat feels as if I have gone =
through a very long ardurous choral rehearsal.  I have to have lozenges =
(sp) in my pocket at all times or I suffer major coughing fits.

Years ago, while studying at Eastman School of Music I had to do a =
presentation on tunings, and I played a recording of ascending tones.  A =
very odd reaction occurred in which many of the people in the class =
experienced a throat constriction as the pitch being heard reached the =
top of their vocal range.  This was obvious as people swallowed, or =
clutched at their throats as the sensation hit them.  We all laughed at =
it at the time.  Now I wonder if, in tuning, I am unconsciously matching =
the pitches I am sounding with a tightening of my vocal chords.
  Does this problem resonate with anyone else? =20

Ed Carwithen
John Day, OR