pocket pc

Ernie pianolist@golnik.org
Sun, 19 Jun 2005 02:49:17 -0400

David,

I don’t know what your particular needs are, but I can share my experiences.

I have a Pocket PC (IPAQ hx4700 running Windows 2003SE). In all the time
I've been using PPCs I have never, ever experienced a crash and never lost
data. Never. They have been rock-solid for me.

I upgraded to this PPC because it has an actual true VGA color screen (640 x
480, 65,536 colors) and built-in wifi and bluetooth.

I should probably mention that it cost me $0 by cashing in some American
Express 'points'.

TuneLab works like a charm on the hx4700. What a hoot!

The PPC came with real, full, legally licensed version of Outlook (not just
Outlook Express) for your PC, and also integrates perfectly with all the MS
Office apps if you have them on your PC. The hx4700 also comes with Word,
Excel, PowerPoint etc. on the Pocket PC. I prefer Outlook for scheduling,
contacts, mail lists, mail merges etc., For those who haven't used T&C on a
portable, T&C works the same with the PPC as it does with the Palm - that
is, it uses the messaging, calendar, and other apps already on the PPC or
Palm and syncs those through a conduit. T&C is running only on the PC in
your shop. You buy T&C and then you buy the T&C plug-in for your Palm or
PPC.

It has nothing to do with piano technology, but I also like being able to
stream music wirelessly to the PPC, like in bed while I drift off to sleep
or outdoors (Shoutcast, for example) and also to be able to use music
services like Yahoo! Music Unlimited which works perfectly with the hx4700
to be able to listen to all the music I can carry from over a million
choices for five bucks a month, even in the car. If I had a Palm, I would
also have had to buy a separate device for the tunes and another for the
piano tuning software, so that figured into the decision for me.

To answer your other question, an SD card is a Secure Digital memory card -
extra memory. I bought a 1 gigabyte card at a big-box computer store for $42
and then got a $45 rebate, so they can be a pretty cheap way to add memory.

- Ernie