Rib Crowned Hamburgs ?

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Tue, 21 Jun 2005 10:40:27 EDT

Ron
  Well I could send you a DVD of my D but then that's not really a
representative of the Factory instrument.  What's your mailing address  though.

  BTW I've seen/heard & worked on  NY D boards as thin as  .320 & as thick as
>390 ish. But then the same can be said of the other  models. I can't tell
there is any parameter for any particular board thickness  or at any time frame
in there history.
  The NY D I worked on with a thin board did not sustain as well as  the ones
with  a panel in the .360 ish range. My own is .370 & has the  fat envelope
you refer to. It's a wonderful sound.
  Dale

It was really a bit too ill to tell what it might have sounded like when
new. But certainly, with only 8 mm in the high treble, I think it has too  little
mass to sustain effectively. For my taste, I think the Hamburg Ds are a  bit
too short-and-shocky in the top as a general rule (but then again, they  would
probably say that my boards are too sustaining - it is purely a matter  of
taste). I prefer a bit longer fat-envelope, before the longer lingering  gets
under way.

I'd like to hear a few recordings of well prepared US made Ds. I heard a  US
D played by Cyrus Chestnut in the 300th year television special which  sounded
pretty good. Anybody know what typical D panel tapering/thicknesses  are for
the US made Ds?

Ron O.