Grand Regulation Fee

Alan Barnard tune4u@earthlink.net
Tue, 21 Jun 2005 10:37:01 -0500

I use Joe Garrett's work estimating book (PTG publishes a similar booklet)
similar to the Chilton estimating manual car techs and body shops use. This
is based on the time an average experienced tech can do an average job,
etc., so might be fudged for special circumstances. I just multiply the
hours by my shop rate, whether I'm in the shop or the customer site.
Especially in the early years, I always took longer than the book said but
felt it was only fair to NOT penalize the customer for my inexperience and
learning curve. I don't know how accurate the book estimates are, but they
seem about right. Joe would probably appreciate feedback from "old hands"
if they felt anything was out of line.

To get it right and not cheat yourself, I've painfully learned, means to
take more time preparing the estimate because surprises invariably pop
up--like the time I quoted a flat rate on a grand action only to find that
I had a great deal of repinning to do. I'd rather not have to "sell" the
job twice and it's nasty for customer relations, so I've ended up eating
the fees I SHOULD have charged for surprises I SHOULD have found before
quoting the job.

Nice to see you in KC!

Alan Barnard
Salem, Missouri