Pitchlock

Andrew & Rebeca Anderson anrebe@laredo.globalpc.net
Tue, 21 Jun 2005 09:40:41 -0600

The pitch-lock devise is a 'staple' for lack of a better description that
grips two adjacent strings and couples their harmonic motion.  This
coupling does come at a price.  The highest partials & noise is
muted.  That is why you only couple the two worst strings of a noisy three
string unison.  You couple out the out-of-phase noises and keep one loose
for "life" in the sound.
Bass strings lose a lot of their "airiness" when coupled.  Balanced against
very noisy strings in, say, a chinese piano this may be a good choice.  It
is not something I'd consider first in a performance venue instrument.  But
to tame a noisy customer piano that is hard to tune and doesn't respond to
termination work, why not?
The device's inventor was clear that this solution is not for all pianos
and for all situations.  Try out and use judiciously.  I can think of a
Pramberger upright that will get these on some noisy bass strings, also a
Yamaha C7 with several screaming front duplexes (yes the capo should be
re-milled, try getting that through a committee).   You can use these to
couple all three duplexes and then tune them to a desired partial by
sliding them to or away from the center of the duplex.  Quite cool actually.

Andrew