Tuning price

Sarah Fox sarah@graphic-fusion.com
Tue, 21 Jun 2005 15:23:35 -0400

Hi David et al.,

This is all a matter of supply and demand.  Whenever there's a tech or
tooner who's hungrier than you are, he's going to undercut you.  That's the
only way he's going to get your market share.  You're certainly not going to
*give* it to him willingly!  Ultimately, this sort of competition will drag
professional rates down to the point where it's only marginally "worth it"
for you to be in the profession.  If you want plumbers' rates or cable guys'
rates, you have to engage in price fixing, just like they do -- negotiated
or even "understood" rates that everyone charges, more or less.  If your
local rates aren't high enough, have a "pow wow" with the other techs,
tuners, and/or tooners in your area.  Piano tuning/repair/servicing is
effectively an oligopoly, and that's how oligopoly's stay profitable.

Having said all that, I find it hard to feel sorry for anyone who gets
$50/hr, with only a few years of training.  I worked my tail off to get my
Ph.D. and to go into research and teaching.  Altogether, all of my
involvement in teaching and research would have brought in perhaps
$20-30/hr.  Unfortunately the research funding ended up not being there for
me, so there was no incentive for me to continue.  (I hated teaching.)  So
when you talk of years of study and preparation for a measly $50, consider
the folks who train harder and don't even get that much!

The ultimate irony is that photography is starting to pay off much better
than teaching, and I didn't have to go to school to learn photography.
After another year in the business, with a growing client list, I think I
might make as much as you guys, and I'll be ticked to death to have that
much money coming in!

I'm not writing any of this to vent or to argue.  I'm merely offering this
as a point of perspective.  Ultimately, what matters is whether you can put
food on the table, send your children to college, and be happy doing what
you do.  I stopped caring long ago whether the plumber makes more money than
I do.  OF COURSE he does; good for him!  (I do my own plumbing, and he can
get rich off of other folks just as much as he pleases.)  To feel like I had
to be the highest paid person on the block would only lead to
disappointment, resentment, and frustration.  I don't need that, as it
detracts from one of my big three professional goals (1, survival; 2, kids'
survival; 3, HAPPINESS).

Yes, I could be a plumber and turn a pretty decent income.  Or I could
become a piano technician and do something I'd enjoy much more.  But best of
all (for me), I can be a photographer and create artwork!!  I choose the
latter because the profession "fits" me, even though it doesn't pay as well.
Now, would YOU want to be a plumber, or would you rather be working as a
piano technician?  If you're doing what you like, and if you're earning a
livable living...  Don't worry; be happy!  You'll be a richer man for it!
:-)

For you bottom liners, break out the pencil and paper.  Figure your costs,
your estimated client load, your time, etc.  Figure out your "break even"
point, below which it's simply not worth the headache for you to
tune/service a piano, and or below which you couldn't support your minimum
acceptable standard of living.  If you get paid more than that, GREAT!  It's
gravy.  Enjoy!  If you get paid less than that, buy a snake, and unplug
people's toilets.  Doing what you enjoy doing is a luxury, and if you're
able to do it, be happy!

Peace,
Sarah