Tuning price

David Andersen david@davidandersenpianos.com
Tue, 21 Jun 2005 13:25:45 -0700

> Yes, I could be a plumber and turn a pretty decent income.  Or I could
> become a piano technician and do something I'd enjoy much more.  But best of
> all (for me), I can be a photographer and create artwork!!  I choose the
> latter because the profession "fits" me, even though it doesn't pay as well.
> Now, would YOU want to be a plumber, or would you rather be working as a
> piano technician?  If you're doing what you like, and if you're earning a
> livable living...  Don't worry; be happy!  You'll be a richer man for it!
> :-)
>
> For you bottom liners, break out the pencil and paper.  Figure your costs,
> your estimated client load, your time, etc.  Figure out your "break even"
> point, below which it's simply not worth the headache for you to
> tune/service a piano, and or below which you couldn't support your minimum
> acceptable standard of living.  If you get paid more than that, GREAT!  It's
> gravy.  Enjoy!  If you get paid less than that, buy a snake, and unplug
> people's toilets.  Doing what you enjoy doing is a luxury, and if you're
> able to do it, be happy!
>
> Peace,
> Sarah

Apparently I wasn't clear---or you missed my point, my dear.
I was strongly pointing out that the responsibility for the health of your
business rests squarely on your own shoulders---if we can make a BIG
 positive difference in the way a piano sounds and feels after we're done,
make it sound and feel better than it ever has, in the client's perception,
AND be responsible and accountable and pleasant and engaging, then all the
comparisons and price shopping talk above are meaningless. Honor your value
in the marketplace.
You WILL eventually have a great piano service business with great clients,
clients with whom you can establish long-term trust and affection; in their
world, the price of everything goes up.  If YOUR price doesn't, they will
start to see you as sort of an anachronism, and will subtly devalue the
relationship they have with you. Price raises are the mark of success and
seriousness, as are good tools, a good car, nice clothes, professional
invoices, and---especially---a strong confidence in your work, and in
yourself as an artisan.

I'm glad you're happy, Sarah.  So am I, because I love what I do, and I feel
like I almost get paid what I'm worth.  <g>

David Andersen