Tuning price

staytuned@idirect.com staytuned@idirect.com
Tue, 21 Jun 2005 22:54:42 -0500

Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread. Based on both public and private emails, the average RPT price in US dollars is $123. and the average Associate member charges $78.  Does that say something? Unfortunately, I did not track non-members although it was interesting to hear from our British peers.

Alan Barnard is right on. Always charge a little (or a lot) more than the competition. You will avoid the junk, the complainers and the once-every-twenty-year tuning. You will earn respect and referrals, tune quality pianos and earn many extra dollars.

My quest was out of curiosity, not justification for a $10. increase to $120. I'm sure most realize that.

As these next two months are always quite slow on the urban, north shore of Lake Ontario, I will try a new wrinkle. Should the client pre-book a subsequent tuning within the year, the "current" rate will prevail. I can stretch this out for a five year period of amnesty, yet boost tuning rates each year. Slow months will become busier and busy months overwhelming. I should have enough money to retire by age 80.

Thanks to Susan and all for your interesting thoughts.

John Lillico, RPT
(an optimistic 64)