Rib Crowned Soundboards

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Wed, 22 Jun 2005 08:07:45 -0700

And I thought you Renner guys could take a little "needling".  No need
to get insulting, Richard.

Cheers.

David Love
davidlovepianos@comcast.net

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Ric Brekne
Sent: Wednesday, June 22, 2005 5:13 AM
To: pianotech
Subject: Rib Crowned Soundboards

David.

I have repeated my answer to you three times now. For the last time, my
perception of Steinway sound is based on how the piano sounds, not how
its built. I continue to believe that  a CC board will sound and perform

differently then a RC & S board, and I do not, never have, and never
will take the position that one or the other type of assembly sounds or
functions inherently better then the other. As I have stated on several
occasions, it is not me who has a problem with the way other people
build soundboards.

Also... since you seem to not be aware of it, just because they dont dry

out their boards before ribbing, does not mean  that they can not
achieve equivalent compression levels. Nor does this neccesitate any
fundamental difference in stiffness, (where ever that bit came into
this).

My <<singing the praises>> of Hamburg Steinway is based on the fact that

they are fine instruments, superior in their own right.  I have also
<<sung the praises>> of other instruments for their own particular
characteristics.

And finally, also for the 4th and last time.  This thread was based on a

simple report of what I was able to observe in a short time of how
Hamburg Steinways soundboard assembly methods, for the general interest
of those who find such things interesting. Hopefully it will contribute
positively in some small fashion to that interest.

Cheers
Richard Brekne

I'm not overlooking anything from the posts of the last 2 days, or 2
years for that matter.  The issue remains achieving stiffness, not
compression.  I am still wondering, though, since you have been singing
the praises of H Steinway and their traditional method of crowning
whether your impression of their tone has changed since you discovered
that their crowning procedure is different than you thought.  You have
argued for "differences" in tone between CC and RC&S boards.  Perception
is often based on preexisting beliefs and I'm just curious how that
might have affected yours.  An honest question, really.

David Love
davidlovepianos@comcast.net <mailto:davidlovepianos@comcast.net>