Cracked Plate

V T pianovt@yahoo.com
Wed, 22 Jun 2005 17:26:31 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Terry,

This crack is quite elaborate;  it looks like it
propagates under the felt and it could possibly be
connecting the three struts.

Welding this requires a very skilled welder with lots
of experience.  The whole casting has to be preheated
and held at an elevated temperature while it's being
welded.  I would be very hesitant to get involved with
this one, but my guess is, it may have a chance with
the Lock/Stitch method and lots of money.

The plate may be warped, or it wasn't levelled
properly when the screws were tightened.  Check if the
plate is warped before spending money on welding /
stitching.

Vladan

=================
Yup, another cracked plate post. I know there is the
Lock 'N Stitch (or =
whatever it is called) repair method and welding by
someone experienced =
with welding cast iron. However, this plate has three
of its five struts =
cracked/broken. They are nearly cracked clear through.
How/why would =
that have cracked in the first place? Would ANY repair
be appropriate =
given the structural importance of the struts? If so,
which repair might =
be best? Opinions?=20

The picture below shows one of the breaks, the other
two are very =
similar. I can slip a business card into the base of
the crack.

Thanks for any input. I've never worked with a broken
plate before. The =
piano is a 6-foot 1898 Weber and a family heirloom.

Terry Farrell

Yahoo! Sports
http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com