S&S L Values

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Fri, 24 Jun 2005 19:55:26 -0400

List,

I have a church client whose clickety-clackety under-performing 1974 S&S =
L will either be rebuilt or replaced. They are building a new sanctuary =
and wish to have a nice piano for it. I am trying to provide them =
guidance.

This piano has average wear for a 30-year-old institutional piano. LOTS =
of teflon action noise. Heavy action (not quite Mack truck, but maybe =
tow-truck) The piano has NO guts. No power. It's really lackluster.

I am going to suggest to them a number of possibilities for them to =
consider:

1) Remanufacture their L.

2) Sell the L and buy another salvage piano (bigger) and remanufacture =
that.

3) Sell the L and buy a new piano.

4) Sell the L and buy a used piano.

5) Sell the L and buy a keyboard or whatever (he told me that was a =
possibility).

My questions for the list:

1) What is the salvage value of a S&S L? (My guess around $5 to $7K?)

2) What is the value of this L (maybe a bit above salvage)? (Maybe $10K =
- just figuring there is a sucker born every..........)

3) What is the price of a new L (ebony)? (My guess about $45K?)