Piano wire tensile strength

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Sat, 25 Jun 2005 20:38:53 EDT

Paul
   my experiece with this much twisting always ends up in false  beats. I
only do this when I have a particularly dead string the won't  sing at 1 or 2
twist & stretched for a week or two. Then in desperation  & nother twist or so.
If it comes up great but later I find them  false.

  Another head scratcher.
  Dale

Del:

I've talked with only one older factory stringer (he's  unfortunately dead
now so confirmation isn't possible) who claimed that he put  3-4 twists in bass
strings only to tighten the coils on the wire to avoid  buzzing as the core
stretched. Of course the tension on the coils will release  slightly as well,
but I can't figure how tensile strength (either overall or  in the components
--copper or steel) would be increased by twisting which  shortens the wire and
would cause the need for slightly lower tensions to  account for the difference
for pitch. Or do I have that backwards? The  ductility of copper doesn't
argue logically for higher tensile strength except  for the stiffening that
results from stretching a wire as in lead in stained  glass windows which visibly
stiffens when stretched; but that is not for  tensile strength, more for
shearing strength. The same observation would hold  for steel as well?

Paul R-J