Piano wire tensile strength

PAULREVENKOJONES@aol.com PAULREVENKOJONES@aol.com
Sat, 25 Jun 2005 23:22:15 EDT

In a message dated 6/25/2005 8:48:50 PM Central Standard Time,
cmpiano@comcast.net writes:

> It's elementary, my dear Watson.  Twisting the wire work hardens it and
> therefore it is stronger.  Anyway, that's as good as any for a reason.

Carl:
Twisting (unless it were to be 20 or 30 times perhaps) doesn't even approach
"work-hardening" or the duplex deformation properties of metal which is bent
past a point in the curve of elasiticity. So....not as good a reason as any.
:-)

Paul R-J