reamers for teflon centers

J Patrick Draine draine@comcast.net
Sun, 26 Jun 2005 10:34:54 -0400

On Jun 26, 2005, at 2:15 AM, David Skolnik wrote:

> Patrick -
>
> I would echo Joel's reply, at least the part about rolling the pin
> between files, as I haven't used the Pianotek reamers.

I have done that in the past, and a roughened center pin (which is
essentially what the Mannino broaches are, though done more nicely than
I usually achieve by rolling center pins between files) certainly works
very well for felt bushings. It's just that I imagine a microscopic
view of the results to the teflon bushing, and doubt that the results
equal or exceed factory specs for the bearing surfaces.

> Drill bits won't work, at least in part because they are not accurate
> enough,

I would expect to mic any bits that I used

> and, I suspect, because their main cutting edge is at the bottom, not
> the sides.

Huh? Certainly not the way I envisioned drill bits functioning -- do
others agree with your evaluation of the way drill bits cut?

>  The ones I have (when I can find them) are copies of what Steinway
> was using, at one point at least.  Made by Johnson Carbide, 4 flute,
> from .490" to .530" in .0005" increments.  They worked well, at least
> until they started to feel dull, but I never found a direct
> relationship, that is, I would generally stay "undersize" with the
> reamer in relation to the pin size, or sometimes find the need to
> "cheat" a bit, by bearing, just a bit, to one side or another.  They
> were not cheap, and I had to have a minimum (10 sets) made.  Don't ask
> where they are now.

Yeah, I bought a set of them back in the late 70s. Where are they now?
A casualty of my center pinning tool box falling and popping open,
tools and center pins everywhere, on some slushy New England driveway
no doubt.

On a broiling Sunday in Billerica,
Patrick Draine