Grand Regulation Fees

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sun, 26 Jun 2005 16:01:21 -0400

Joe,

BEST ZIP THAT DERN TOOTIN' FLACK JACKET UP TIGHT, 'CAUSE ITS INCOMING!

I do get it! If I didn't get it I would charge 15 X $60 =3D $900

I commonly give a range because some action regulations will be more of =
a touchup ($600) and some will need MINOR repairs ($1,200).

I do not take a 100-year old action into my shop that appears to =
function and tell the owner it will only need a regulation. I tell them =
that it is very common to run into a number of smaller repairs that will =
be required because ONE CANNOT DO A PROPER REGULATION UNTIL ALL OF THE =
MECHANICAL PROBLEMS ARE TAKEN CARE OF!

That's why I commonly put an extra $300 in the job bid to cover REPAIRS.

Also, unless I have to, I prefer to give a client a one-figure bid. I =
prefer to not itemize a proposal. Keeps me out of trouble sometimes.

So there.    ;-)   (kinda)

Terry Farrell

  Terry said: "G" Piano Works (Joe Garrett) suggests about 15 hours for =
a complete=20
  regulation. I find that to be about right - less for a newer action in =

  decent shape, and more for an old crapo that has gone 97 years without =
a=20
  regulation. I charge $60 per hour shop time and tell them that it will =
cost=20
  between $600 & $1,200, depending on how much time I need to spend with =
it -=20
  closer to the lower end if it cooperates with me, or closer to the =
upper end=20
  if I run into a lot of small repairs, etc. The upper end also will =
include=20
  full re-felting of the keyframe, filing the hammers, and minor =
repairs."

  Terry,
  One thing that y'all aren't getting. Repairs ARE repairs and are =
charged for accordingly. Regulation is Regulation, as above, it is a =
separate thingee!<G> Of course, one CANNOT do a proper regulation UNTIL =
all of the mechanical foibles are taken care of. Anyone who attempts =
such, is a fool/fooling him/herself, IMO. Strong words? Yes! (Flack =
Jacket firmly affixed to protect body from incoming!<G>
  Regards,
  Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
  Captain, Tool Police
  Squares R I