Arledge Bass strings

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Sun, 26 Jun 2005 22:08:22 -0700

Are you having Arledge do the scaling when you order a set or are you
sending them a chart?

BTW, Arledge does a good job, so does Walter Schienke at JD Grandt.

David Love
davidlovepianos@comcast.net
-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Erwinspiano@aol.com
Sent: Saturday, June 25, 2005 5:34 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Arledge Bass strings

   List
   Speaking of strings, I've had the pleasure now of using  about 6 sets
of the Arledge strings  & I like them very much. I like the neatness of
the  wraps etc. But as much as this I find the tone color of the scaling
a bit darker  thru  out but I find it especially refreshing in the top
of the bass scales where typically many makers get a bit thin & whiny
sounding which I believe is a tension problem.
    I haven't checked but I'd guess at a bit heavier scaling being
employed which, in my limited scaling experience gives a darker tone
with more power.
  IE the Old 1920's  stwy L scale in the region of notes 20 - 26 were
scaled toward the 70% of breaking strength & they sounded awesome. When
on occasion I have replaced sets where the tension was reduced in this
area the tone suffers greatly. ON having it corrected the tone came
back. I'm not finding this weakness in  the Arledge strings at present.
  I'm interested in any ones feedback be it objective or subjective.
   Cheers
  Dale Erwin
  Oh & I like personal service, southern hospitableness & a can do
attitude.
 !!!!!!!!!

Erwins Pianos Restorations
4721 Parker Rd.