knuckle size/ knuckle mounting distance

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Tue, 28 Jun 2005 13:44:09 EDT

In a message dated 6/28/2005 8:32:34 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
piano57@flash.net writes:

Hey Dale Erwin (and all),

Long time ago we were talking about  moving/replacing knuckles.   I'm
ready--um.... well, I have a  friend who has all the equipment, anyway.  ;-)

So, I'm ready to order knuckles.  One time  you recommended the ones by
Tokiwa.  I looked in the Pianotek catalog and  saw that the Tokiwa knuckles only
come in 10mm diameter.   I  guess you wouldn't use them if it was a problem, but
have you ever run into  a case where that size just won't work regulation
wise?

I've had no problem with regulation etc. so far.   The short answer is you
use what works ,however it requires a different saw  blade than the one I use
which is a dewalt.  I Think Roland  Kaplan, the slotting jigs inventor. has
done more blade research than I at this  point & has an answer.

I have a couple sets of shanks and flanges  downstairs and I haven't measured
their width yet, so maybe I'm jumping the  gun.   Perhaps I should just wait
until I have the pianos in hand  and can test different shanks & knuckles.

I also had a private e-mail from someone who said  he doesn't like 17 mm
knuckle distance, but prefers 16.5.  After using  the 17 mm knuckle distance on
the Big, dead hall D and having to set the key  dip pretty deep (but no
complaints from pianists), I am wondering if 16.5 mm  distance and a bigger knuckle
(or not) would be better than 17  mm.

  I'm not a big fan of 17mm either & prefer 16.5 when  the action & key
ratios allow, which I find is often. However 17mm works  when it works but it
doesn't workj on everything as the factory guys maintain.  There answer is dip up
to .420. yikes. I'm trying to keep a 1 3/4 blow distance  & .390 dip whenever
possible. I'm Not a fan of deep dip for many  reasons
  Dale Erwin