knuckle size/ knuckle mounting distance

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Tue, 28 Jun 2005 10:48:45 -0700

I would use Renner knuckles.  The size will depend on the location.  The
farther down the balancier, the bigger they tend to be.  Choice of 16.5
over 17 should depend on the overall leverage as it relates to the
hammer weight, not a personal preference.

David Love
davidlovepianos@comcast.net
-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Barbara Richmond
Sent: Tuesday, June 28, 2005 8:12 AM
To: Pianotech
Subject: knuckle size/ knuckle mounting distance

Hey Dale Erwin (and all),

Long time ago we were talking about moving/replacing knuckles.   I'm
ready--um.... well, I have a friend who has all the equipment, anyway.
;-)

So, I'm ready to order knuckles.  One time you recommended the ones by
Tokiwa.  I looked in the Pianotek catalog and saw that the Tokiwa
knuckles only come in 10mm diameter.   I guess you wouldn't use them if
it was a problem, but have you ever run into a case where that size just
won't work regulation wise?

I have a couple sets of shanks and flanges downstairs and I haven't
measured their width yet, so maybe I'm jumping the gun.   Perhaps I
should just wait until I have the pianos in hand and can test different
shanks & knuckles.

I also had a private e-mail from someone who said he doesn't like 17 mm
knuckle distance, but prefers 16.5.  After using the 17 mm knuckle
distance on the Big, dead hall D and having to set the key dip pretty
deep (but no complaints from pianists), I am wondering if 16.5 mm
distance and a bigger knuckle (or not) would be better than 17 mm.

The pianos that will probably get these sets of shanks and flanges are
1920s (or give or take a few years) Steinways.  One B and the other an
L.    I'd like to just have these sets ready and waiting for convenience
sake and also, because my friend with the equipment is available now.

What would you do?

Thanks,

Barbara Richmond