soundboard split

Dean May deanmay@pianorebuilders.com
Wed, 29 Jun 2005 07:52:37 -0500

Actually I have witnessed dead notes at the end of the tenor bridge
caused by bridge/soundboard separation, and it was pretty localized. I
fixed it on the spot with CA glue, spraying accelerator first, then
pushing on the bridge with a screw driver while running the glue along
the base. That was two years ago and it is still holding.

Dean
Dean May             cell 812.239.3359
PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272
Terre Haute IN  47802

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Michael Spalding
Sent: Wednesday, June 29, 2005 7:36 AM
To: Pianotech
Subject: RE: soundboard split

Brian,

Since no-one else has answered, I'll throw in my 2 cents.  These notes
are wound bi-chords?  If that's the case, I would first eliminate the
strings themselves as the cause.  There are methods of restoring some
life to old wound strings.  For example, remove the string, form a loop
in one end, and rol the loop up and down the length of the string.  Or
just measure them and buy replacements.   For $20 or $30 you'll know for
sure.  I doubt very much that any soundboard damage would cause such a
specifically localised problem.

Mike