soundboard split

Michael Spalding spalding48@earthlink.net
Wed, 29 Jun 2005 07:35:49 -0500

Brian,

Since no-one else has answered, I'll throw in my 2 cents.  These notes are wound bi-chords?  If that's the case, I would first eliminate the strings themselves as the cause.  There are methods of restoring some life to old wound strings.  For example, remove the string, form a loop in one end, and rol the loop up and down the length of the string.  Or just measure them and buy replacements.   For $20 or $30 you'll know for sure.  I doubt very much that any soundboard damage would cause such a specifically localised problem.

Mike

----- Original Message -----
From: Brian Doepke
To: Pianotech
Sent: 6/28/2005 2:07:35 PM
Subject: soundboard split

Hello List,

My 1965 Wurlitzer baby grand has a couple of “dead” notes at the inside edge at the bass strut…in other words the last 2 notes before the strut/bass section.

I have tried “juicing” them….and using a hammer iron.  Neither one worked.

I then seated the strings at the bridge pins.  Nothing.
However, while tapping the strings I noticed a crack in the soundboard that seems to follow under the bridge except for at the very end….close to where the dead notes terminate.

Are there other things that I can try to eliminate the “deadness” before trying to fill the crack.  Is the crack even an issue?  It seems to be, but I am looking for other ideas before tackling filling the crack.

I can’t even see it from the bottom side because of a wooden support in the “nose” of the piano.
Does anyone have any ideas of how I should proceed?

      Brian P. Doepke
      A.A.A. Piano Works, Inc