What to do for sore wrists and arms.

J Patrick Draine draine@comcast.net
Wed, 29 Jun 2005 16:04:18 -0400

Some folks don't seem to have a problem. Some of us do. 13-14 years ago
I had severe tendonitis in my thumb and wrist -- truly disabling! After
lots of anti-inflammatories, rest and a very reduced workload (what to
do with all that spare time? I got an MA in Chinese), my wrists &
thumbs are much better.
I've had flareups of shoulder pain; I'm about to start up physical
therapy for that again.
Getting to the gym and working on the upper body Nautilus equipment is
good for me too. Unfortunately my Y is in the midst of a major
reconstruction and closed for several more weeks. Treadmills, running,
yoga, bike riding, swimming, etc. can all help balance the repetitive
stresses we put on our bodies while working on pianos.
Good tools are important too. I bought a titanium lever from Charles
Faulk, and it is a great change from my heavier Itoshin lever.
BTW, has anyone bought (or tried out extensively) the Reyburn
CyberHammer? It's an impact hammer; the more expensive versions have
titanium components. If I hear good reviews I'll be buying one.
Patrick Draine