What to do for sore wrists and arms.

Thomas Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Wed, 29 Jun 2005 14:30:22 -0700

Vinny,

Probably it would best to seek the advice of a veteran tuner, especially
one who has overcome physical problems, someone who could comment on
your technique (or demonstrate her or his). Lacking that, I would say
(assuming you're a right-hander tuning an upright piano) to face the
bass end of the piano and position the tuning hammer at 1:00 - 2:00.
Then using a quasi-impact technique, you can jerk the string up to
pitch, then settling the pin however you do that. I find that using the
inertia of my forearm and gravity, it takes very little effort and
tension does not build up. Also when you turn away from the piano (as
above), you have a better muscular advantage over facing the piano.

There is a book of tuning hammer techniques called Different Strokes by
Ken Burton, RPT. Lots of wisdom about every possible way to tune a
piano. It's available through Randy Potter.

Ultimately, you have to adapt your particular body to the task at hand
which requires trying different methods and paying attention to your
body's reaction.

Good luck
Tom Cole