What to do for sore wrists and arms.

Nichols nicho@zianet.com
Wed, 29 Jun 2005 17:24:09 -0600

Howdy, Hubert,

At 05:56 PM 6/29/2005 -0500, you wrote:
>Excuse snips below that may be somewhat cryptic. Bear with me and lets
>change the subject line if needed.

Understood. I did the slip-horn thing for a few years until I was informed
that they "needed tuba players". Oh well. Anyway, yeah... Stiff arm no
worky slide so good. But, weak was not a viable goal, either.

>  Conversly
>the weaker, the harder it is to tune. Flexible strength is the answer. The
>back muscles and diaphram muscles are important, as well as taking deep
>breaths as you tune/play. Think the same way as you 'pound the keys'...relax
>and breathe deeply. We are in agrement here, just another way of looking at
>a problem. ...Full body flame suit applied for if not activated.
>
>Hubert Liverman
>Opelika,Al

I think you're right about "flexible strength", Hubert. But, a big part of
tone is power. Punch with little sustain is still better than thin and
airy. Punch with great sustain is ideal. Good muscle tone in the forearms
can be achieved without building to a painful stiffness. Poor muscle tone
in the arms leads to fatigue and stresses other muscles unfairly. Most
strength-building exercises, when performed correctly, promote flexibility.
It's always good to vary the routines and include different exercises. And,
as you mentioned, breathe. Lots. Deeply. And often.

later,
Guy