What to do for sore wrists and arms.

hubert liverman hubertliverman@bellsouth.net
Thu, 30 Jun 2005 11:35:40 -0500

Howdy, to you Guy.
Comments interspersed....

> Howdy, Hubert,
>
> At 05:56 PM 6/29/2005 -0500, you wrote:
> >Excuse snips below that may be somewhat cryptic. Bear with me and lets
> >change the subject line if needed.
..

Yes ..2 quart plastic milk jars filled with water for curls.and 2 ivorine
spring clamps for forearms will get us started. Not to many repitions a day
of each,,,twist and turn both ways from a comfortable erect position..strech
arms upwards and then sideways to a T position. after a few painless days Do
the same set until you can do a H position. Deep breath on each squeeze
/twist/lift Exhale and relax holding the position. Breathe again and go to
"parade rest". Yes you will be tight,you are now using the abductor/diaphram
muscles,as well as all the back muscles.and straigtening the spinal
curvature front to back,and sideways.

This is all I know how to help. Sports Injury Doctors seem to try to rebuild
strength rapidly,and delay flexibility.

> >For me, it's the control benefit that I really like.
> > > Simple mechanics.  It's ALL you muscles, y'know. Not just arms.

YES!

> >"Stronger arms=more control". If you are a bass trombone player, moving
> >the slide and wiggling fingers at the same time, "arm relaxation
> >techniques", and erect posture are required.
> >I have found that the more
> >muscle in my right arm the slower my slide will move in and out.

Bass Trombone performance and Piano Tuning can wreak havoc on the boby!  :-)

> Understood. I did the slip-horn thing for a few years until I was informed
> that they "needed tuba players". Oh well. Anyway, yeah... Stiff arm no
> worky slide so good. But, weak was not a viable goal, either.

Tuba players are my my best friends, kindrerd spirits in the love of tbe
bass register.

> I think you're right about "flexible strength", Hubert. But, a big part of
> tone is power. Punch with little sustain is still better than thin and
> airy. Punch with great sustain is ideal. Good muscle tone in the forearms
> can be achieved without building to a painful stiffness. Poor muscle tone
> in the arms leads to fatigue and stresses other muscles unfairly. Most
> strength-building exercises, when performed correctly, promote
flexibility.
> It's always good to vary the routines and include different exercises.
And,
> as you mentioned, breathe. Lots. Deeply. And often.

Yes, if we stop breathing the alternitive is a real killer.

Hubert Liverman