What to do for sore wrists and arms.

hubert liverman hubertliverman@bellsouth.net
Thu, 30 Jun 2005 13:14:52 -0500

  Hi Phil,

  This post is important in this thread,for your insightful comments =
concerning tuning hammer hand position and choice.

  Now... how is a full body massage as effective as it should be wearing =
a pinstripe flame suit?    :-)

  Hubert Liverman
  Opelika, Al

  Vinny, the first thing that comes to mind is your technique. Tight =
pins or not, you should not have to rely on Advil at the end of your =
working day to make a living in this business.

  Another thing that comes to mind is the kind of tuning lever you're =
using. In KC, I watched Virgil Smith tune a piano on Sunday Morning with =
a tuning lever that I personally would not use. It was heavy for my =
tastes..but first let's talk about technique. It's very hard to do that =
in this medium, but let's try:

  -Your wrist, forearms, triceps and medial deltoid muscles work best =
with they're working together for the better part of your tunings. There =
are situations where these muscles will be called on individually, but =
not too often.

  -If your hand spends alot of time at the end of the lever, and your =
arm is always at a 90 degree angle to the lever, I suspect this will add =
to tension and fatigue to those muscles. Notice I said "I suspect" =
because speaking for myself, the closer I get to setting the pin, the =
closer my hand gets to the middle of my tuning lever.=20

  These are places to start as far as technique is concerned, and if =
technique is not an issue, then:

  Conrad: 44R..pinstripe!

  You should also know that part of my mental/physical well-being is a =
full body massage 2x a month.

  -Phil Bondi(Fl)