Enlarging existing bridge pin holes

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Sun, 1 May 2005 15:53:27 -0700

Correction here, I don't insert the "old pins".  Don't know why I wrote
that.  I insert new pins.  The reason I'm not using the old pins, and
the reason I don't, is because they are often notched by the strings and
I prefer to start fresh.  Also, pulling them out usually mangles them a
bit.

David Love
davidlovepianos@comcast.net

-----Original Message-----
From: David Love [mailto:davidlovepianos@comcast.net]
Sent: Sunday, May 01, 2005 12:43 PM
To: 'staff@smithpiano.com'; 'Pianotech'
Subject: RE: Enlarging existing bridge pin holes

I always at least recondition the bridge top using epoxy on a
restringing job.  I don't know Nick's specific method (I think I use a
method outlined by Bill Spurlock), but I generally sand out the string
grooves and recut the notches, insert the old pins with epoxy.  (BTW
since I tend to clean off all the old dag with denatured alchohol first
because I like the look of wood, it can make it difficult to see where
you are cutting the notch relative to the pin line.  I take a flashlight
and shine it toward the notch from a position parallel to and even with
or slightly below the bridge top.  The notch will be illuminated while
the top will be is slight shadow.  It makes it very easy to see exactly
where your cut is.)  My method is changing a bit now as I go to a lower
viscosity epoxy and apply, let harden and sand before I reinsert pins
but I'm still developing it.  In this case, I don't want to fill a lot
of space with epoxy on the odd sized pins.  Since the change is from
.122 (original pin) to .135 (#10 pin) and is only in the bichord section
of the bass, I'm not too worried about the change in diameter effecting
the offset.  And the change in the string position at the damper will be
so insignificant as to be hardly measureable.

The upper end is getting new caps and the plain wire section of the
tenor is already #9s.  I don't like to use #6 pins and usually go to #7s
in the treble, 8s will work on this job as well.  I also don't like to
sand down the tops of the pins.  All the work to get them snug and them
heating them up while applying side pressure with a belt sander seems
counterproductive, even if you like the look.

The concern I have with drilling out and enlarging these holes is that
the upward force of the drill at the edge of the hole tends to want to
take chips of wood out around the pin.  I've experimented with a couple
of holes on the backside of the bridge just doing it by hand and
pressing down just hard enough that the drill goes down a little faster
than it wants to cut.  That seems to help.  Unfortunately, it requires a
precise matching of the angle so as not to go down crooked and create an
oblong hole.  I'm going to try a reamer as soon as I get them which will
enlarge by scraping rather than cutting and hopefully prevent this
problem.  I may taper the tip just slightly so as to get it started in
the right direction.  Fortunately, there are not that many holes.