Enlarging existing bridge pin holes

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Sun, 1 May 2005 12:50:07 -0700

Hard to imagine that that could make any difference.

David Love
davidlovepianos@comcast.net
-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of John Fortiner
Sent: Sunday, May 01, 2005 12:45 PM
To: 'Brad Smith'; 'Pianotech'
Subject: RE: Enlarging existing bridge pin holes

-----Original Message-----
From: Brad Smith [mailto:staff@smithpiano.com]
Sent: Sunday, May 01, 2005 12:17 PM
To: Pianotech

Also, what are the consequences of using big fat #10 pins...or using
slightly smaller #9 pins. Will it affect side bearing, or relationships
with
dampers?
Perhaps not enough to worry about.
*What about the slight difference in the over all weight of the bridge.
Smaller pins would reduce the mass of the soundboard/bridge structure
that the wires must activate??  Just a random thought.

John Fortiner
Billings, MT.

I'm not sure how critical the type of bit is, obviously it's part of the
puzzle.
Most important is the lightweight shaft that allows you to drill and
follow,
without influencing, the angle of the original holes.
For that reason, you would want to avoid completely filling the holes
with
epoxy.
And, making a bridge pattern from acetate or Mylar is vital, should
anything
go awry.
You might even wish to start a size lower than your final bit, to
re-establish the holes, and then complete the sizing with the final bit.
Maintaining control, and working "intentionally" are most important.

Nick's class also covers a great way to fix bunged up notches; or cracks
that have distorted the notch termination on an otherwise good bridge.
This stuff, done right makes an old bridge look as though you've
recapped
it!

Best regards,
Brad Smith, RPT