Enlarging existing bridge pin holes

John Fortiner JLFortiner@usadig.com
Sun, 1 May 2005 13:44:49 -0600

-----Original Message-----
From: Brad Smith [mailto:staff@smithpiano.com]
Sent: Sunday, May 01, 2005 12:17 PM
To: Pianotech
Subject: RE: Enlarging existing bridge pin holes

Also, what are the consequences of using big fat #10 pins...or using

slightly smaller #9 pins. Will it affect side bearing, or relationships with

dampers?

Perhaps not enough to worry about.

*What about the slight difference in the over all weight of the bridge.
Smaller pins would reduce the mass of the soundboard/bridge structure that
the wires must activate??  Just a random thought.

John Fortiner

Billings, MT.

I'm not sure how critical the type of bit is, obviously it's part of the

puzzle.

Most important is the lightweight shaft that allows you to drill and follow,

without influencing, the angle of the original holes.

For that reason, you would want to avoid completely filling the holes with

epoxy.

And, making a bridge pattern from acetate or Mylar is vital, should anything

go awry.

You might even wish to start a size lower than your final bit, to

re-establish the holes, and then complete the sizing with the final bit.

Maintaining control, and working "intentionally" are most important.

Nick's class also covers a great way to fix bunged up notches; or cracks

that have distorted the notch termination on an otherwise good bridge.

This stuff, done right makes an old bridge look as though you've recapped

it!

Best regards,

Brad Smith, RPT

www.smithpiano.com