Enlarging existing bridge pin holes: Follow Up

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Mon, 2 May 2005 17:31:12 -0700

Well I never did get the reamers, but I did reinforce the bridge top and
sides with a coat of epoxy as well as swabbing the hole with a very
light application with a toothpick.  After it cured I sanded back the
top to smooth and just drilled the existing holes with a regular bridge
pin drill on a cordless (read not to high speed) drill.  Worked just
fine without any tear out.  Inserted the new pins with a small dip at
the tip first and drove 'em home wiping off the excess as I went with
pipe cleaners followed by a soft brass bristled brush.  I don't
particularly like the lacquer thinner approach as I see no reason to
dilute the strength of the epoxy especially at the bridge cap/pin joint.
It does seem like the epoxy coating over the cap and around the holes
reinforces the wood nicely and prevented (at least in this case) any
chipping.