Sanderson Temperament

alan and carolyn barnard tune4u@earthlink.net
Mon, 2 May 2005 19:52:05 -0500

I'm trying to settle on a temerament to take th RPT tuning test with. The Sanderson makes a world of sense to me except for one little thing ...

After setting the double A octave, it says to tune the C#s and Fs to make contiguous 4:5 ratio thirds. Not problem except ...

How does one tune four notes at the same time???

I'm guessing you tune F3 ~7bps then wiggle C#3 around and see if you can make that end work, moving F3 if it doesn't. Then you would tune F4, wiggle in C#4 to make that end work, and see how your C# octave came out ... ?

Seems like a big leap the sequence to just say tune these here 4 notes. Am I close???

Anyone on the list actually use this for the test or as their regular aural sequence?

Alan Barnard
Salem, Missouri