Sanderson Temperament

David Andersen david@davidandersenpianos.com
Mon, 02 May 2005 22:03:50 -0700

> Here's the answer I wish I had given you when you were inquiring
> about how to hit 7 bps in the F3-A3 M3rd. The same answer applies
> here: Remember that tuning through a temperament sequence need not
> yield perfect results. It only need get you close enough so that you
> can use the refinement techniques, mainly the inverse beat
> relationships of the 4ths and 5ths. If you tune through the sequence
> within a couple cents, you should have few expanded 5ths or
> contracted 4ths, and checking the 4ths and 5ths can get you the rest
> of the way to a great temperament.
>
> Kent

Great job, Kent; exactly my thinking, except I basically tune right from the
start with 4ths and 5ths; they're very easy for me to hear, and if all the
4ths are beating a slow wow-wow-wow-wow, around 2 bps, and the fifths are
nearly pure, not really beating at all, there's an ideal ET. All the 3rds
and 6ths checks work exactly, including contiguous 3rds. There's the
illusion of little or no movement in the 1-5-1 or 1-4-1 triad--- (in my
temperament, F3 to F4.) Working with open strings is much more realistic
than working with a temperament strip, IMO; 3 strings certainly SEEM to beat
differently, and fit into tests differently,than one string.

David A.