Sanderson Temperament

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Tue, 3 May 2005 06:33:19 -0700

I used it.  There are different ways to go about it but basically after
you have A2, A3, A4 tuned, I would start by tuning F3 and C#4.  Get the
F3-A3 and the A3-C#4 thirds to beat 4/5.  When you do then tune the F3 -
F4 octave and check to see that the C#4-F4 thirds fits with the other
thirds.  If not, make the necessary adjustments to F3 and C#4 and try
again.  When you have that sequence right, tune C#3 from C#4 (you have
already tuned A2) and then check the entire sequence.  Allow slight
adjustments to the type of octave you are tuning at A2 or A3 if
necessary.  Remember, A4 cannot move.

David Love
davidlovepianos@comcast.net

Original message
From: alan and carolyn barnard
To: Pianotech
Subject: Sanderson Temperament
I'm trying to settle on a temerament to take th RPT tuning test with.
The Sanderson makes a world of sense to me except for one little thing

After setting the double A octave, it says to tune the C#s and Fs to
make contiguous 4:5 ratio thirds. Not problem except ...

How does one tune four notes at the same time???

I'm guessing you tune F3 ~7bps then wiggle C#3 around and see if you can
make that end work, moving F3 if it doesn't. Then you would tune F4,
wiggle in C#4 to make that end work, and see how your C# octave came out
... ?

Seems like a big leap the sequence to just say tune these here 4 notes.
Am I close???

Anyone on the list actually use this for the test or as their regular
aural sequence?

Alan Barnard
Salem, Missouri