A real puzzler: Dead strings in "BB" M and H

Wayne Walker wayne.w@musicstop.com
Wed, 4 May 2005 08:44:44 -0300

Try tapping the bridge pins in a bit with a punch, you be surprise of the
difference.

Wayne Walker
Piano Tuner & Technician
MUSICSTOP LTD
1005 Dow Rd, New Minas, NS
B4N 3R4
Cell 902-221-1540
Fax 902-681-1463
wayne.w@musicstop.com
www.musicstop.com
  -----Original Message-----
  From: Piannaman@aol.com [mailto:Piannaman@aol.com]
  Sent: Wednesday, May 04, 2005 1:24 AM
  To: pianotech@ptg.org
  Subject: A real puzzler: Dead strings in "BB" M and H

  List,

  I'm scratching my head at this one.  I tuned a BB today that is around 3
years out of the factory.  As I tuned the temperament, I found that the
middle string on several notes from middle C down towards the tenor have
virtually no sustain.  I thought it was damper "drag"(for lack of a better
term).  Pulled the dampers out of the way, no change.  Second thought was
over-needled hammers.  I plucked the strings. The sound still died after a
couple of seconds.

  I thought it might be bad strings, but in most, if not all of the notes,
it was only the center string that was not sustaining.  These are not
individually looped strings, and the other half of the strings sounded just
fine.

  I didn't alarm the customer, I just told her that there were some notes
that sounded kind of dead to me that I wanted to address at the next
appointment.  They've had no complaints, because there was enough sound when
the outside strings weren't muted to negate the deadened strings--unless, of
course, you were listening for it.

  I seated and lifted strings, and attempted to get clean termination
points, all to no avail.

  There seems to be adequate downbearing, and odds are, negative or
inadequate downbearing would affect all the strings of a unison, no?

  Any suggestions are welcomed!

  Thanks,

  Dave Stahl

----
It has removed 1389 spam emails to date.
Try SPAMfighter for free now!