April keytop question.

Carman Gentile cgpiano@humboldt1.com
Wed, 04 May 2005 11:34:38 -0700

Maggie Jusiel,

I have just visited the archives after several months and saw your question
about keytop dye.
I had a client with an old birdcage with plastic keytops and a couple were
missing.  The existing keytops were slightly discolored with age and I
tried to figure out how to discolor the replacements to match the originals.

  I tried soaking the replacement plastic keytops in some tea
overnight.  No luck.
Next I poured a small amount of lacquer thinner into a cap and dipped a
brown felt-tipped marker into the thinner.  This created a very thin dye
which I wiped onto a replacement keytop.  It successfully created a faded
appearance, although the color did not match the originals exactly.   So I
told her that was the best I could do and sold the job.

   Did you have any luck from your own efforts?

Carman Gentile