Gross!

alan and carolyn barnard tune4u@earthlink.net
Wed, 4 May 2005 19:40:42 -0500

Anybody know about the August Gross brand? Pierce has nothing except the name and Chicago. Stencil?

Beautiful old upright, some of the nicest woodwork I've ever seen--reminds me of a nice Crown, or similar, from maybe 1905 or so. The serial is 30758, for what it's worth.

Poor thing has had some real schlocky work done on the action over the years. At the moment, blow is 2 1/4", letoff about 1/2", and hammers look like they were once "filed" by a drunken guerilla with a dull chain saw. Oh, yeah, and our local piano store owner (3rd generation, now retired, thank goodness) recovered the white keys, put in felts but no punchings on either rail, and regulated nothing. Whites are actually too high and sharps are only about 3/8" higher. "Aftertouch? What's that?"

He also replaced some strings. Coils done by that very same inebriated very hairy semi-huminoid, apparently. Anyway, the whole thing plays very unevenly and heavier than yesterday's oatmeal. And they have a very talented 15 year old who has been taking lessons but--for some reason--doesn't seem very motivated any more.

It's a crime shame.

Alan Barnard
Salem, Missouri