reminders

richard.ucci@att.net richard.ucci@att.net
Wed, 04 May 2005 22:51:51 +0000

Dave, you're a better man than I, good advice though.
Thanks,
RU/UP

-------------- Original message from Piannaman@aol.com: --------------

Richard,

Everyone's different, and different things work for different clients.  I book some six months in advance, some a year in advance.  Some can't keep a calendar that far ahead, so I send them reminders and call.  If I book far in advance, I always call to remind the customer when I'm coming.

After sending postcards, i'll usually call two-three times over a 3-6 month period, and if I get no response, I leave a message telling them to call me when they need my services.  I put an x by their name, indicating to me that the ball is in their court, and not to call them again.

I try to be sensitive to the customer's desires in this regard.  I don't like feeling like I'm another harassment in someone's harried life.  Most people are gracious and appreciate the reminders, but some are obviously put off.

I know it's hard for us to face sometimes, but our place in most peoples' priority list is somewhere down below the annual cat innoculation.  It often takes a note sticking or little Betty saying, "mommy, the piano sounds funny" for the customer to get of her duff and call the tuner.

It's taken awhile, but I've learned not to take these things personally, even when they tell me they're using tuner X, who was recommended by their neighbor, teacher, guru, or priest.  That's the nature of the biz.

Hope this helps,

Dave Stahl