Gross!

JWyatt1492@aol.com JWyatt1492@aol.com
Thu, 5 May 2005 09:47:58 EDT

Hello Alan,

    August Gross & Son  was built in their  own
factory.  Their offices and factory was located
at  590---594  Wells St. in Chicago. They only
built pianos for their own retail stores.

   Some indication is that they may have bought
case parts  from  The Tonk Co. and probably
bought most of their actions from Thayer and /or
the  Arthur King Co. This was a common practice
at this time.

  As far as I can tell they built uprights and their
production was only about 250 to 300 a year.

  Jack Greenfield,s book gives nothing on this brand.

 Their pianos were of good quality ( as was the
vast majorty of this time.) and were very durable.

   It is quite posable that the  Geo.Bent "Crown"
was an influence on building thier piano.
They could have done much worse.

   As far as the time line they started business at
some time between 1899 and 1909.  So your
opinion as to when your piano was built is very
posable.

   If you can identify the action I would appreciate
knowing the brand.  Some times there is a brand
name in various places on the action or on the
action brackets.

Regards,
Jack Wyatt