Mason AA report

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Thu, 5 May 2005 23:47:45 EDT

Dale,

Nice report!  Thanks for the update.  AAs are near and dear to my
heart--being an owner of one built in 1919 and completely redone in  2000.
Great pianos!

Dave Stahl

Erwinspiano@aol.com writes:

    Hi   all

  A whiel back I wrote about sound board design  changes I made to a 1920's
Mason AA & said I'd report back as to my  impressions. The separate transition
bridge went from 2 bichords & 7  tris to a short repositioned bridge connected
to the main bridge  body with 9 bichords. It got a   cutoff bar that
shortened  some very long ribs to no more than 36 inches and also I added a treble
fish. My first

   It went out two weeks ago. The  the piano sounds really good . The bass is
big ,solid, plenty  of boom but focused. The transition bridge at the bass is
virtually seamless  as is the plain wire break. This was a home run no
question. Truly a  pleasurable blending of registers. Tenor is sonorous and open. I
had to work  with the strike lines twice in the top two octaves & the hammers
wanted to  be harder than I thought but not overly so. It wasn't speaking all
that well  until the hammers picked up enough stiffness all over  from the
lacquer  & a few drops of keytop on the strike. Then the treble sustain got
quite excellent & clear & projects nicely. Maybe a tiny bit  stingy but  one of
the best Mason AA I've heard so far that I really  liked. I'm being really
objectively critical you know & and the same time  am very pleased.

   The impression of the whole piano is that  it's bigger than it's physical
size portends. Very Musical warm dynamics  & sound slike a concert grand.  All
in All the whole redesign was a  pleasant success

   If I had to do over I'd have thinned  the board a bit more in the top end.
It went to San Luis O. in a  beautiful hillside dwelling. Beautiful polished
mahogany  Customer  is thrilled. Said it was the best money he'd ever  spent
on anything.  WOW

    Dale