No Shows - was: reminders

Matthew Todd toddpianoworks@yahoo.com
Fri, 6 May 2005 13:41:54 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks for the response Patrick, I really appreciate it!

Matthew

J Patrick Draine <draine@comcast.net> wrote:

On May 6, 2005, at 12:23 PM, Matthew Todd wrote:

> Do any of you still insist on a service call fee even if no one is at
> home for the appointment?

No, not me. If they're so apologetic that they *insist* on making
payment, I may bill them for an hour of my time -- but I'll probably
end up giving their piano some extra TLC when the make up appointment
actually occurs.

Now, if, after a customer called me to make the initial appointment, I
had sent an appointment reminder card imprinted with the admonition
that they will pay for the appointment if they're a no show, and I
called the night before to remind them of the appointment, I might be
more aggressive about it all. That's just not my personal style, nor do
I like soliciting work by phone (even from past customers).

This year I have had a couple occasions when *I* was a no show for
customers, and service providers for my household. Sometimes life
events trump one's appointment book; reasonable folks accept an apology
and we all go forward from there.

Just my 2 cents,
Patrick Draine