Crumbling music desk on Y.C.

Isaac Sadigursky irs.pianos@earthlink.net
Fri, 6 May 2005 19:27:06 -0700

For years I was re-ordering those strips from Kawai,in 3 colors,they are
nice replacement and fit all Young Chang dimensions,very easy to apply..I
even tried it on a few music desk slides and,so far,it works..To remove old
strips:I use small application of vinegar and a few minutes later that strip
comes off and in a few areas an old razor blade can scrape-off gunky stuff.
  Good Luck! Isaac

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf
Of Carman Gentile
Sent: Friday, May 06, 2005 6:37 AM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Crumbling music desk on Y.C.

   My client has a 1990's Knabe grand  (made by Young Chang)   On the music
desk, the material on which the sheet music rests  is degrading and
crumbling into coarse dust particles. It looks unsightly and the debris is
falling into the tuning pin area. The material that is in there is not
suede. If you push your thumbnail into it there is a mark left. As if it
were some sort of plastic. Any idea on what they used to use?
   I finally reached the folks at Young Chang and although they will send
some replacement suede, I still need to know how to extract that old
material.

Carman Gentile RPT
Redwood Chapter