Sustain Pedal with broken action/damper part

Isaac Sadigursky irs.pianos@earthlink.net
Fri, 6 May 2005 19:40:01 -0700

Good suggestion  Don
But,those Damper Lifter Rod L-shaped pins are available from Schaff,they
have KNURLED End and repair is done very quickly,just remember not to burr
the pin.Pins come in two different lengths-long and short for Uprights and
compact actions.. Good Luck! Isaac
-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf
Of Doug Renz
Sent: Friday, May 06, 2005 7:44 AM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Sustain Pedal with broken action/damper part

I went to tune a Fisher upright piano and the (right) sustain pedal
when depressed would only move the dampers off the strings from the
top note to the middle of the piano, around Key A3.  I took out the
action to see if there was something blocking the bar to move the
damers, b ut I didn't find anything. The metal bar that moves the
dampers only went so far and then there was a break and a second bar
that moved for the middle sustain pedal for the bass strings/ break.
Can anyone help me to know how to troubleshoot and fix this problem?
Is this a problem with the type of action? Pedal? bar? It was strange.
It's a nice piano, and looks like a new action, just the sustain pedal
was not depressing all of the dampers for the action.

Thanks.
Doug Renz
Rochester, NY