Sharp height on 1908 Chickering ?

gordon stelter lclgcnp@yahoo.com
Fri, 6 May 2005 19:55:43 -0700 (PDT)

Hi!
     I'm doing a Chickering for a  church here, about
6' long, allegedly 1908. Someone put cheap-o,
ultra-thick plastic keytops on it which have, of
course, made accurate regulation impossible. I want to
send the keys to Piano-Tek to recover, this time
planing the keysicks to the right depth to compenate
for the added thickness of new material replacing the
original ivories.

1) Anyone have an accurate thickness of the original
ivories to compare to ?  I'm guessing "medium-thick",
considering the age/brand of the piano.

2) In lieu of that, does anyone have an exact factory
spec for the height of the sharps over the original
ivories when all the keysticks are laid flat on a
table, as I imagine the sharps' preferred height was
determined with all the keysticks in the same plane.

     Thanks!
     Thump