No Shows - was: reminders

alan and carolyn barnard tune4u@earthlink.net
Sat, 7 May 2005 12:18:00 -0500

Maybe it's where I live. I've only had one instance where no one was home. It was a wonderful, regular customer. When I got hold of her she said: "Oh, "I'm sorry. I thought you'd just go on in and tune it. We never lock the door."

But I do occassionally get a kind of down-the-nose treatment from someone who obviously views the tuner as just another tradesman (tradesperson?) like an appliance repairman or something. I think that contributes to inconsiderate people and even people who need to do things like that to make themselves feel more ... what? powerful? important?

It bugs me ... not because I think I'm any better than an appliance repairman but because I think ALL people deserve respect and courtesy. I treat the appliance guy (as an example) like an old friend. I watch what he does .... try to learn from it so I can fix it myself the next time. Ha! Anyway, some folks seem inordinately class-concious and, personally,  I think that shows a real lack of class.

I know some techs wear coats and ties on the job. Yrck, gooey, ppffff ... had enough of that in the corporate world. Besides, if I dressed up down here, 99 percent of my customers would feel LESS comfortable having me around. It's a weird old (weirdo?) world.

Alan Barnard
Salem, Missouri

----- Original Message -----
From: Robert Edwardsen
To: Pianotech
Sent: 05/07/2005 5:27:59 AM
Subject: Re: No Shows - was: reminders

Matthew,

In NY to legally charge one needs to inform the customer in writing (just like the dentist does on the flip side of that appointment card you get when leaving the office) that there will be a charge for a missed appointment.  I personally don't think it's worth the ill created to charge for missed appointments.

Rob E.