CRESCENDO GRAND PUNCHINGS

Jeannie Grassi jcgrassi@earthlink.net
Sat, 7 May 2005 17:02:13 -0700

Hi Dave,
I may drop in to visit a young friend (Eric Sutherland) at Manhattan when
I'm in the city next week.  Any chance you might be around...just to say Hi
and connect a face with a name?
jeannie

Jeannie Grassi, RPT
Assistant Editor, Piano Technicians Journal
mailto:jcgrassi@earthlink.net

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf
Of David Skolnik
Sent: Saturday, May 07, 2005 7:37 AM
To: David C. Stanwood; Pianotech
Subject: RE: CRESCENDO GRAND PUNCHINGS

Hi Dave -
Sorry not to be there with you.  Then again, I'm sorry not to be there when
you're on the Vineyard too.  Anyway, I'll take a chance with this, even
though I've yet to read Andre's article.  I've used two sets of these and I
find them interesting to work with, though I haven't done any sort of
controlled test to see if I could discern any tonal difference.  But here
are my theoretical questions regarding your comments:

You say
>Woven felt is the technical choice for high impact areas because it
>greatly reduces compaction of the felt over time.

As a generalization that may be true, but doesn't it depend upon the
initial density of both materials, as well as the level of force, over what
period of time?

>  Over time, pressed felt will compact more quickly than woven felt
> causing dimensional changes which will effect regulation and it will get
> harder faster than woven felt when exposed to repeated high impact.

The four functions of whatever material used in this application are to
absorb shock, suppress noise, define a precise termination of movement, and
to remain stabile.  These functions tend to be achieved in compromise, and
to the varied preference of the performer.  Even with woven punchings, you
assume regulation will be necessary at a frequency depending upon
usage.  These conical punchings start out much less compressible than most
woven punchings I've seen.  That might make them unsatisfactory to someone
used to a more cushioned stop.  I would think that, initially, the woven
punchings would change much more than these, also becoming harder.  Is
there any reason to think that these punchings will react hygroscopically
more than the woven  variety?  It would seem to me that the reason this
material is unsuitable for the back rail is not for any dimensional
instability but rather its inadequate noise abatement.  The more I say, the
more I suspect I should read the article.

Posting any pictures of Holland, are you?

Regards-

David Skolnik