Why Conical Wurzen felt front punchings ARE a major improvement......

Stephen Birkett sbirkett@real.uwaterloo.ca
Sun, 8 May 2005 02:39:43 -0400

I've hesitated to say too much about the testing we've been doing
here with the "Wurzen whites" because it's still quite preliminary. I
certainly wouldn't claim we've come anywhere close to a definitive
result, or even a controlled experiment. That's going to have to wait
until: (a) I have a grad student who can take the time to do a
thorough study, and (b) a new fancy pants micro-tensile testing
machine is installed in the lab in June.

Note that secondary effects, such as noise contributions from impact,
or feel of the key bottom to the pianist, are beyond the scope of
this premilinary experiment.

Also, instead of trying to observe differences in tone, I was simply
looking for a mechanical mechanism that would ALLOW the properties of
the punching to directly influence the tone, as well as demonstrating
that the key actually does behave very differently on impact with the
two kinds of punching. On the second point I will put a couple of
video clips on my website to illustrate, showing the key impact with
standard green woven and Wurzen white punching (I'll pass on the
links when I've got the videos into a manageable size for
web-viewing). These don't prove anything, of course, other than
showing the felt properties of the Wurzen punchings prevent the
sloppiness seen in the decelerating key with the green punching. In
other words, the two types of punchings cause a clearly different
impact response from the key.

Now, on the first point, a  static viewpoint  (as derived from
knowledge of standard regulation procedure and configuration)
suggests there is a clear association between aftertouch and the
front  punching compression phase. However, dynamically (at least in
the action configuration I tested) this is far from a clear, or even
fixed, relationship. In fact, the simultaneity of statically adjusted
events can, and does, change quite dramatically under dynamic
conditions. This is really the most important point that leads astray
when trying to make arguments for or against a particular explanation
of the behaviour of a piano action. For example, in this case, the
non-rigidity of the action mechanism allows it to take on a
configuration where the key bottom has touched the top of the
punching, while the jack is still well under the knuckle, and has
barely reached the letoff button. Consequently, a direct mechanical
link exists (for about 2.5ms) during the escapement phase, i.e. PRIOR
to any string contact, between the pianist's arm, finger, key front,
compressing front punching, and through the key and action assembly
all the way to the hammer. This is what I meant by demonstrating a
mechanism whereby the properties of the front punching can directly
influence the behaviour of the hammer before it strikes the string.
This doesn't prove an effect on tone, just that it is clearly
mechanically possible for tone to be influenced in a significant way
by changing the properties of the punchings, consistent with the
observations of Andre and others who've tried the Wurzen punchings.
Moreover, this explanation would suggest the effect should occur
under forte playing, and only with a very well regulated action,
consistent with Andre's frequently repeated observations from his
experience using the punchings in pianos.

Stephen

--
Dr Stephen Birkett, Associate Professor
Department of Systems Design Engineering

E3 Room 3158
tel: 519-888-4567 Ext. 3792
fax: 519-746-4791
PianoTech Lab Room E3-3160 Ext. 7115