CRESCENDO GRAND PUNCHINGS

David C. Stanwood stanwood@tiac.net
Sun, 8 May 2005 23:03:07 +0200 (GMT+02:00)

On 8-mei-05, David Stanwood wrote:

><snip> To be honest I think that you both should tone down your posts in
> respect to promoting your product.  This list should not be used for
> promoting products.
>
> David Stanwood

>On 8-mei-05, André Oorebeek wrote:

><snip>Thank you for reminding us Mr Stanwood.<snip>

>André Oorebeek

Thank you Andre for you appropriate response.

On 8-mei-05, Richard Brekne  wrote:

><snip>I find it very odd indeed also that Mr Stanwood should accuse anyone
>at all of using this list or any other PTG resource as a medium for
>spreading information pertinent to a commercial product. <snip>

Whoa Richard! I only asked Mr. Oorebeek to "tone down your posts" and to
remind him and others that we should not promote our products on this list.
Here is what prompted my comment:

On 7-mei-05, André Oorebeek wrote:

><snip>The conical punching we are very happy to promote <snip>

><snip>For just a few insignificant dollars you can get a
better tone in your piano<snip>

><snip>Look out, woven felt cloths, and get ready to move on over.  Crescendo
>Wurzen felt is coming.

>Jurgen Goering

The latter is an enthusiastic sales slogan for sure and that's fine but
not for postings on this list.

Richard, again I remind you that all I asked was to "tone down your posts"... hardly
an accusation.   Since this is a self regulating list which I value highly I will not hesitate
to make such constructive comments in order to maintain list quality.

On 8-mei-05, Richard Brekne  wrote:

>Looking at felt through a microscope can only reveal the
>degree of fineness of wool fibers used in a felt, and nothing more.

Yes!  And the degree of fineness is very important to know.  In my experience, especially
with hammers, finer fiber means a finer quality of felt and tone. I'm interested to know if
Wurzen felt uses finer (smaller diameter) fiber than everyone else.  There is always
something to learn by looking more closely at things...  especially with a scanning electron
microscope.

>Claims about the technical correctness of the use of cloth vs felt are
>simply ungrounded at this point one way or the other. As are claims as
>to why.

Richard...  There is ample grounding for the correctness of using cloth for front rail
punchings.  Its use has evolved through the total experience of the whole piano industry
over all of time and we all use it because the test of time shows that it is the best construction
of felt for that application in the piano.  So I would think twice if you're going to throw out all
that history, experience, and collective knowledge.

To be honest Richard, I feel that it is inappropriate for you to bring up personal issues and
judgements such as you have in regards to me and my Dutch Colleague Frans Pietjouw.  This
list is about sharing knowledge, not personal issues.

Very Respectfully,

David Stanwood

P.S. - I was in the Hague today on the Scheveningen beach looking at beautiful sand sculptures
made specially for the 25th Jubilee of Queen Beatrix.  My favorite was the one which sculpted
the four Queens, Emma, Wilhelmina, Juliana, and Beatrix in the likeness of Mt. Rushmore.