felt (was CRESCENDO GRAND PUNCHINGS)

Stephen Birkett sbirkett@real.uwaterloo.ca
Mon, 9 May 2005 02:39:15 -0400

David Stanwood:
>Yes!  And the degree of fineness is very important to know.  In my
>experience, especially
>with hammers, finer fiber means a finer quality of felt and tone.
>I'm interested to know if
>Wurzen felt uses finer (smaller diameter) fiber than everyone else.
>There is always
>something to learn by looking more closely at things...  especially
>with a scanning electron
>microscope.

I don't agree. Diameter (fineness) is but one of many fibre
parameters that affect the compressional behaviour of felt. Others
include fibre length, Young's modulus, torsion modulus, fibre
material density, crimp (curliness), and surface texture (especially
important for friction). All of these may vary independently of fibre
fineness, so knowledge of the latter is not necessarily of much use
in predicting the compressional properties of a piece of felt.

An electron microscope will not reveal very much about many of these
important fibre properties.
The properties of the fibre assembly as a whole (i.e. the structure
of the felt) are influenced by the feltmaker's skill. Depending on
the application, a given fineness of fibre can be made into felt of
vastly different properties, e.g. soft fluffy loose material vs rock
hard ultra dense polishing felts. The feltmaker varies the structure
by the processes applied, pressure, heat, duration, and so on, using
possibly the same wool for each one.

Our felt research has been active now for a couple of years. The most
recent grad student (Wolfgang Stamm) finished a thesis last year
called "Compressional Behaviour of Felt". This involved quite a bit
of experimentation with felt - it's very strange stuff - to support
the development of a model for use between components in the action
model. So we're well along in characterizing felt, at least limited
to uniform non-stressed sheets. However, even under this limited
scope, the behaviour is very complex and no simple model is available
yet. [By the way, Wolfgang's work on felt will be published soon if
anyone is interested to read about this].

Now limit the size of a felt "sheet" in relation to the impacting
object, which may also take on some geometric surface shape that
affects the pressure distribution on the felt (e.g. the top of a
jack). Then allow the impactor to be resiliant (a nonlinear spring,
e.g. like a piano string). Then take the piece of felt and wrap it
around the hammer core using one of a variety of possible pressing
and stressing techniques and subsequent processing operations.  Last
manipulate the felt further directly on the manufactured hammer by
applying voicing techniques. Now how much do you really think that
fibre diameter is going to tell you about the tonal response of that
hammer??

>Richard...  There is ample grounding for the correctness of using
>cloth for front rail
>punchings.  Its use has evolved through the total experience of the
>whole piano industry
>over all of time and we all use it because the test of time shows
>that it is the best construction
>of felt for that application in the piano.  So I would think twice
>if you're going to throw out all
>that history, experience, and collective knowledge.

Just because we've "always done it" doesn't necessarily make it
"correct" (which cannot even be defined - better would be "does it do
the job in the manner we desire better than something else can?"),
nor does it preclude that Wurzen felt punchings might be preferable
to traditional woven felt. New innovations in piano design can be
valid alternatives to traditional methods and materials.

By the way, what kind of felting is your wife involved with David?

Stephen
--
Dr Stephen Birkett, Associate Professor
Department of Systems Design Engineering

E3 Room 3158
tel: 519-888-4567 Ext. 3792
fax: 519-746-4791
PianoTech Lab Room E3-3160 Ext. 7115