CRESCENDO GRAND PUNCHINGS

Ric Brekne ricbrek@broadpark.no
Mon, 09 May 2005 00:14:37 +0100

David

I see no real difference between Andres verbal enthusiasms for his
punchings and yours for your product. I see absolutly no grounds for you
to offer him a <<correction>> in this regard considering the many
enthusastic advertisements of various sorts you have given for your
product through various PTG endeavours including this list. In fact,
given the latitude exhibitors like youself have been given in being
allowed to be defined as instructors at conventions... (a latitude
people  like myself have supported vigorously)  I find your comments
towards Andre curious at best.

 >/Looking at felt through a microscope can only reveal the
/>/degree of fineness of wool fibers used in a felt, and nothing more.
/
/Yes! And the degree of fineness is very important to know. In my
experience, especially
with hammers, finer fiber means a finer quality of felt and tone. I'm
interested to know if
Wurzen felt uses finer (smaller diameter) fiber than everyone else.
There is always
something to learn by looking more closely at things... especially with
a scanning electron
microscope./
---------

I fail to see how your comment here is in any way at odds with the
statement I made which proceeds it.

 >/Claims about the technical correctness of the use of cloth vs felt are
/>/simply ungrounded at this point one way or the other. As are claims as
/>/to why.
/
/Richard... There is ample grounding for the correctness of using cloth
for front rail
punchings./
-------

No... it is not. There is no comparison data out there to confirm such
speculative (and I might add, hasty) conclusions. Course I'd be willing
to see it if there was.  I'd  love to see where these are covered in the
anals of piano making history.  More likely, cloth has been used simply
because it has been always deemed "adequate" to the job and cost effective.
------------
/Its use has evolved through the total experience of the whole piano
industry
over all of time and we all use it because the test of time shows that
it is the best construction
of felt for that application in the piano. So I would think twice if
you're going to throw out all
that history, experience, and collective knowledge./
-------------

To be sure, and by the same logic we can say that your whole methodology
is then useless because it questions that same history, experience, and
collective knowledge.  Whats good for the proverbial Goose.

----------------

/To be honest Richard, I feel that it is inappropriate for you to bring
up personal issues and
judgements such as you have in regards to me and my Dutch Colleague
Frans Pietjouw. /

I really and truly believe it entirely appropriate and called for,
given the circumstance. And I still do.

/This list is about sharing knowledge, not personal issues.

/I agree, which is why I reacted. And having said and now underlined my
concern, I'll leave it to rest.

//With Respect

Richard Brekne